A couple of weeks ago, I posted my spring break agenda as a post for the the March Challenge. Thankfully, spring break has finally arrived. Today is Day 4 of my break, and I’m in the mood to reflect on how it’s going so far with my agenda.
- Sleeping in late- I haven’t slept in until 11 or anything crazy like that, but I’ll take sleeping in until 7:30/8 a.m.; this week it feels really nice knowing that instead of being at school, about to start the day, I can linger in my nice and cozy bed.
- Enjoying a leisurely morning at Starbucks-a nice mocha and good book will suit me just fine. This is one thing I always wish I could do every time I rush in on a school morning to get the coffee I need to start my day–YESSSS!!! I’ve definitely been looking forward to a day when I could start off my week by just sitting in a Starbucks, sipping my mocha and reading my book. Checked this off my list yesterday! It was a lovely way to spend my midmorning. Must do again this week.
- Window shopping/browsing the Internet to collect more decor ideas for my new home– my husband and I finalized our choices for sofa fabrics on Sunday and we made a purchase 🙂
- Taking a day trip to Chicago- strolling through Millenium Park or go visiting the Art Institute– not sure we’ll make it to Chicago this week 😦 I still have my birthday weekend to look forward to, though! See you in a few weeks, Chi-town!
- Catching up on movies that I had planned to see at the movie theater but which are now on DVD (The Descendants, My Week with Marilyn, The Iron Lady, and Puss in Boots– the latter was actually recommended by my student)– I’ve watched American Teacher already. Today I rented The Descendants and My Week with Marilyn. I took War Horse off my list as I always read the books before watching the films.
- Taking lunch-time walks with my dog, especially if the weather stays as warm and delightful as it has been– I’ve been doing my walks with Cubby since Sunday. Today we’re walking after dinner, just hope it doesn’t rain…
- Catching up on laundry and cleaning around the house– I let the mess get out of control sometimes- I’ve done a few loads of laundry so far. I’ve got half the pile tackled, so I’m proud of that.
- Scrapbooking- I usually don’t get back to scrapbooking until the summer, but I’m almost done with my wedding scrapbook (I’ve been working on it for two years)– I just remembered this one today. Definitely want to do a couple pages for my wedding book this week, but have yet to get started again.
- Visiting with teacher friends and catch up– I’ve planned my two lunch dates and I’m so looking forward to seeing my friends soon! I’m even trying out a new place with one of my friends, so that will be fun too.
- Resting and replenishing the energy I will need to get back to work once spring break is over– Though there’s really no way to avoid grading during any time of the school year, I’m doing piecemeal grading, only one assignment for one class a day. This way, I can definitely get my resting and replenishing time in during the week.
After reflecting on the things I’ve wanted to do during spring break, I cannot believe I left out reading! I’ve been doing plenty of reading, but I guess I didn’t add it to my list, because like Scout from To Kill a Mockingbird, reading is synonymous with breathing to me. I’m halfway through my Nicholas Sparks book, and I’m debating between three books for my next read: Rules of Civility, War Horse or Hunger Games. I think War Horse is next, but we’ll see…
Also, I love to watch morning shows and eat breakfast (never have time for breakfast on school days) whenever I have a break or day off. I did that this morning, and it was glorious. It was also nice being home when the Rachael Ray show was on, since I’m still finishing things up at school when her show begins. I might start DVR-ing her show from now on. I like it 🙂